The officers who respond to a car accident in East Orange are tasked with investigating what happened and how. They then submit their findings in an official accident report. You will need a copy of this report if you plan to submit an insurance claim or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

To get your police report, you must either go through the East Orange Police Department or the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT), depending on where the accident occurred and where the officer who responded worked. There are small fees associated with making your request that depend on the size of the report and where you get it, but these fees are insignificant compared to what you stand to recover with the help of the accident report.

At Legal Care New Jersey, our New Jersey car accident attorneys are familiar with the process of obtaining a car accident report, and we know how to use it to help our clients get the recovery they deserve. To get a free initial case assessment, call our offices today at (732) 838-9769.

Getting a Copy of a Police Car Accident Report in East Orange, NJ

Sometimes, the easiest way to get a copy of your accident report in New Jersey is to go to the department that filed your report in person. However, if you cannot go in person, you may be able to request a copy be sent to you via mail.

In-Person Requests

If you live near the East Orange Police Department Headquarters, it may be easiest to visit the department yourself to get your accident report. The Records Bureau is located on site at the department and can assist with your request during their normal operating hours of 8:30 am to 4:00 pm on Monday through Friday. The Records Bureau provides more services than just fulfilling accident report requests, so you may want to call ahead to let them know that you are coming in.

The department headquarters are located at 15 South Munn Avenue, East Orange, 07017. The normal fee for accident report requests will be $0.50 per page so that the total fee will depend on the number of pages contained in your report. You should give the department at least five business days after the accident to prepare your report before visiting, as these reports are rarely available immediately.

Mail Requests

In certain cases, the East Orange Police Department may comply with mailed requests, particularly if the requesting party lives far away from the department or their injuries prevent them from making the trip in person.

In these cases, you will have to submit your request through the mail, and you will receive a paper copy the same way. Mail your request, together with a cashier’s check or money order for the appropriate fee, to the address listed below:

East Orange Police Department
Information Service Bureau
15 South Munn Avenue
East Orange, NJ 07017

It may take the department longer to satisfy mailed requests. However, if you have not received a copy of your mailed request within two weeks of submitting it, there is nothing wrong with calling the department to make sure that the Records Bureau received your request and is processing it.

Getting a Report for a Non-Toll Road Accident in East Orange, NJ

If your accident occurred on a non-toll road, such as the Garden State Parkway or the New Jersey Turnpike, the East Orange Police Department may not be responsible for filing your accident report. You can tell whether this is the case by identifying whether the officer who arrived at the accident scene was an East Orange police officer or a New Jersey state trooper. For the latter, you will not be able to get your accident report by going to the department headquarters.

Instead, you should use the state government’s online portal. To conduct your search for your accident report, you will likely need the date and location of the accident and the name of the driver that was involved. The fee for obtaining toll road crash reports in New Jersey from the portal is $5. However, there may be additional fees if you are seeking any photographs of the accident scene that the reporting officer took.

Who Can Get a Copy of a Police Car Accident Report in East Orange, NJ?

Official police reports on car accidents are matters of public record under New Jersey law. Parties that commonly request copies of police reports are the involved drivers, passengers, other injury victims, insurance companies, employers, attorneys for the parties, and certain government agencies. Though you must submit a formal request to obtain a copy of the report, your request should not be denied based on your not being the party involved in the accident.

If your request is denied, you can submit a Denial of Access Complaint with the New Jersey Government Records Council. Our experienced New Jersey personal injury lawyers can assist you through this process.

Why Do You Need a Police Report for a Car Accident in East Orange, NJ?

Police reports contain vital information about your accident its circumstances that you can use to recover compensation for your injuries and property damage. For instance, successful car insurance claims often require car accident reports to substantiate the claimant’s story. You are much more likely to have your insurance claim denied if you do not have an official car accident report.

Your Jersey City car accident lawyer can also use your car accident report to build the facts that will be the basis of your personal injury lawsuit. When they are available, personal injury lawsuits are often more lucrative for car accident injury victims than insurance claims. This is because they account for damages that insurance won’t pay for, such as the injury victim’s pain and suffering resulting from their injuries.

Legal Care New Jersey Can Help You Get Your East Orange Car Accident Report

For all questions about how to get and use your official police report for your car accident in East Orange, call Legal Care New Jersey today at (732) 838-9769.